All vehicles are required by law to carry chains during the declared snow season (07 June- 30 September) when entering Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort, or where signage indicates, and must fit them when advised.
NO CHAINS, NO ENTRY!
- Chains must be carried during the declared snow season regardless of snow conditions (07 June- 30 September)
- Diamond pattern chains are reccomended due to the steep gradient of the access road
- Ladder chains are prohibited at Mt Baw Baw
- You will be denied access to the Resort if you do not have wheel chains so be sure to plan where you are going to hire chains if you do not own any.
- Upon entry to the Resort, you will be directed by Mountain Staff where and when to fit your chains. Depending on the snowfall this generally takes place once you have passed the Gate Entry. It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size. If in doubt please ask your chain retailer for instructions.
How Do I Know What Size Chains To Hire?
- Your tyres are marked with a code. Check the outside tyre wall for your car’s tyre size. The staff at your local chain hire will help with ensuring you have the right size and train you on how to fit them.
- When at the resort, you will be directed when chains must be fitted.
Where To hire snow chains
It’s easy to hire your snow chains on your way to Mt Baw Baw!
BAW BAW SPORTS & OUTDOORS
The one stop snow shop !
Chain hire and snowboards, skis, clothing & accessories also available
FREE chain fitting when you hire chains from Baw Baw Sports and Outdoors, specializing in the hire and fitting of diamond pattern snow chains approved for use at Mt Baw Baw to suit most makes and models including 4wd.
With two convenient locations – Neerim South and Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort Entry you can choose to travel either route to and from Mt Baw Baw, alternate pick up and return is available. BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL
You can also purchase your Resort Entry permit to Mt Baw Baw with us in store at Neerim South!
Open from 7am til late, 7 days a week
135-137 Main Road, Neerim South
and at the entry gate to Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort
p: 1800 106 078
ERICA SKI HIRE
Coming from Melbourne or Gippsland? Try the quicker easier access to Baw Baw via the Moe/Erica or Traralgon/Rawson roads.
Save time, book your diamond pattern chains and toboggans online at www.ericaskihire.com.au. Erica Ski Hire has diamond pattern wheel chains for 2WD and 4WD vehicles.
You can also purchase your Resort Entry permit to Mt Baw Baw with us!
Also available for hire:
- XC Skis
- Snow Shoes
- Walking Boots
- Clothing including jackets, pants, baby and toddlers suits.
Plus a great range of budget gloves, beanies, and goggles.
School Road, Erica
p: 03 5165 3353
Noojee Snow Chains
Noojee to Baw Baw Snow Chain Hire & Sales have easy fit diamond pattern snow chains for all passenger & 4WD vehicles.
No need to book – lots in stock, if you haven’t fitted snow chains before we give you a free demonstration on request.
Also available for hire:
- Walking Boots
- Clothing including jackets, pants, baby and toddlers jumpsuits
TANJIL LODGE CHAIN HIRE
Servicing Mt. Baw Baw for over 60 years. Tanjil Lodge Chain hire is conveniently located at Tanjil Bren on the Mt. Baw Baw Tourist Road, the last stop before Mt. Baw Baw Alpine Village.
Chains are available for hire for all cars and 4WD’s.
Toboggans are also available for hire.
For specials and weekend rates please drop in and see Jenny.
Other amenities available: Toilets, BBQ area, cellular phone coverage and ample parking.
Phone: 0438 562 736
3518 Mt. Baw Baw Tourist Road, Tanjil Bren, VIC 3833
Chain fitting directions
- Fit chains at bays where you see the “Fit Chains Here” sign
- Always fit chains to driving wheels only
- Chain fitting bays are safe, designated areas. They are level and make fitting easier
- Chains are hard to fit on slopes and you will obstruct other vehicles and snow clearing equipment, it is also dangerous
- At all Victorian resorts, you can be fined for not carrying and fitting chains as directed. This is a state law
- If it has not been necessary to fit chains when travelling to the resort, it is advisable to fit them upon arrival in preparation for the return trip
- It is quite difficult to fit them to cars covered by snow
- Do not drive faster than 40kph
Chain fitting checklist
- Fit chains to driving wheels only
- Always test fit chains before a trip
- Fit at fitting bays on level ground
- If chains fall off or loosen when a vehicle is in motion stop and check brake lines for damage, before re-tensioning
- Carry a torch, a mat or plastic garbage bagto kneel on and gloves to make fitting easier
- Use correct fitting chains
- Tyres must be in good condition with minimal wear
- The use of diamond pattern chains is recommended at Mt Baw Baw
- Chains alter your car’s handling, take time to re-adjust your driving and take care!