First Timers Info
First time to our beautiful little mountain? Here are some tips to help you feel more comfortable and make it easier to plan and enjoy your stay at Mount Baw Baw Alpine Resort…
During the Winter months (June – September) the resort transforms into a winter wonderland, we recommend you bring:
- Waterproof gloves
- Beanie and scarf or neck warmer
- Thermal underwear
- Sunglasses and/or goggles
- Sunscreen (yes, you can get burnt at the snow!)
- Lip balm
- Warm clothing (layers including skivvies & T-shirts)
- Waterproof/windproof clothing and footwear (available for hire on mountain)
- Ski or snowboard equipment (available for hire on mountain)
- Bring a change of clothing to change into at the end of the day
- Bathers for a soak in the Rock Pool Spa after a long day on the slopes!
- Equipment and clothing hire, lift ticket and lessons can be paid by credit card, eftpos or cash
Watch The Sun
In the Alps you can be exposed to strong direct sun and reflection from the snow, so you need to wear lots of sunscreen and protect your eyes from glare by always wearing sunglasses or goggles.
Try before you buy
If you’re new to the snow its best to rent your equipment before you buy. That way you can graduate to more advanced equipment as your skiing/boarding improves at an affordable rate. There are plenty of rental shops on the mountain so you can conveniently swap sizes and styles during your stay at Mt Baw Baw.
Click here for more information on equipment hire and sales.
- PAY RESORT ENTRY ONLINE BEFORE LEAVING HOME! all vehicles stopping in the Resort must have a valid Resort Entry Permit, avoid the queues and pay online before leaving home. click here for more info
- BOOK A LESSON If it’s your first time to the snow, or you want to improve your snow skills, why not join in on one of our group or private lessons to build your snow confidence, make some friends and have some fun! We strongly recommend pre-booking your lessons to avoid disappointment!
- WATERPROOF YOUR CLOTHING It’s a good idea to spray your boots and snow gear with waterproof spray a few days before heading up the mountain
- FILL UP ON THE WAY Make sure you have enough fuel in the tank before beginning your ascent up the mountain (there is no petrol station on the mountain!) Click here to view map. Alpine diesel is available at the Rawson General Store (30mins from Mt Baw Baw), or visit your local auto shop for a diesel petrol additive before you leave home
- WANT TO GET HOME ON TIME? Don’t forget to add anti-freeze if you use diesel fuel in your car
- CHECK THE WEATHER on the Mountain Conditions Page on our website before you leave home. Be prepared for all weather conditions and ensure you have warm, waterproof clothing and footwear
- CONFIRM YOUR ACCOMMODATION some lodges on mountain do not supply linen, remember to bring your own or organise to hire a linen pack with our Guest Services team at time of booking. If you are checking in outside of normal business hours, please call Guest Services to arrange your after hours key collection, ph 03 5165 1136
- STOCK UP BEFORE YOU ARRIVE Only basic supplies are available on mountain from our General Store, including long life milk, snacks and limited toiletries. We do NOT have a supermarket on mountain. There are a number of dining options on the mountain, but if you plan to self-cater we recommend doing your grocery shopping on your way up!
- DON’T TRUST YOUR GPS Some GPS systems don’t work in the region. Road signage is well marked along the Tourist Road and South Face Road, but plan the journey before you leave home. We recommend downloading a directional map here
- ORGANISE CHAINS Tyre chains MUST be carried during the declared snow season regardless of snow conditions, which are available for hire on your way up the mountain. Click here for more info. Please note, ladder chains are prohibited at Mt Baw Baw.
During the Summer months or ‘green season’ as we like to call it (October – May), the weather is warm yet cool mountain breezes make life on the mountain very comfortable.If you are heading up the mountain during summer for hiking, mountain biking or an overnight stay we reccomend you bring:
- Bathers for a soak in the Rock Pool Spa
- Cool, light clothing and a few layers
- Mosquito spray (rarely needed)
- A camera to capture Mt Baw Baw’s wildflowers and stunning vistas!
- Hiking boots or runners with good grip
- An ATM is available on mountain to withdraw cash
If you have any questions that we have not covered, our Guest Services team will be happy to answer any questions – no matter how trivial you think they sound, rest assured you are probably not the first to ask! Call: 03 5165 1136
Planning a weekend exploration?
Download the West Gippsland Hinterland Drive app for your iPad or smartphone to make the most of your journey!