Driving safely in the snow
Mt Baw Baw is an exciting place to enjoy your holidays but driving in the snow can be a daunting experience. It is best to familiarise yourself with how to adjust your driving to ensure a safe and comfortable journey.
Here are a few guide points for safe driving:
- Be wary of black ice and drive cautiously
- Avoid braking or sudden steering on black ice as this increases the risk of spinning out
- Brake well before a corner
- Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front
- Avoid sudden braking – brake slow and steady
- Use your fog lights or low beam lights in misty conditions
- Read the Snow Safe page or this page by VicRoads for more information about driving in the snow.
Chains help to provide extra traction in snowy and icy conditions. All vehicles are required by law to carry snow chains during the declared snow season regardless of conditions when enterting Mount Baw Baw Alpine Resort.
- Ladder chains are prohibited at Mount Baw Baw Diamond patterened chains are recommended
- You will be refused entry to the resort if you do not carry snow chains regardless of whether there is snow or ice
- If you do not own snow chains make sure you plan where you will hire them from and are familiar with how to fit them to your car.
- Chains are available for hire at the resort entry where they will be able to fit them for you.
- You can also hire chains from Baw Baw Sports & Outdoors in Neerim South, Baw Baw Chain Hire in Noojee or Erica Ski Hire. Fitting Chains
* Please note; the information on our website is meant as a guide only and we take no responsibility for any errors.