Baw Baw Frog Day is part of Walk Away Extinction at Mt Baw Baw. The day is aimed at raising awareness for one of Victoria's most critically endangered frogs.
Join us for:
- Golden Egg Hunt to win a Zoos Vic Season Membership!
- Join the Launch of our 2019 Frog Fact Walk and win a Family Season Lift Pass for Winter 2020
- Frog Art and Craft - Ceramic Frog Painting and Frog Colouring in competition
- Chocolate Frog Hunt *free with any lunch meal purchase
- Froggilicious themed food offerings at Village Central Restraurant on the 16th and 17th of November. Food is available all weekend with all profits being donated to conservation and education programs.
ABOUT THE BAW BAW FROG
The Baw Baw Frog is currently the highest priority for conservation action for Victorian frogs, as it is only found at Mt Baw Baw. The impact of disease has dramatically reduced the wild population by more than 90% over the last 10-15 years making this find even more important for resolving critical questions about captive management and its potential role in supporting the species in the wild.
Baw Baw Frog egg masses are notoriously difficult to find, located by first carefully listening for the location of calling males. Once a general location is established and likely nest sites pin-pointed, the team quite literally dig in the hope of finding a precious jelly-like egg mass, sometimes found one metre beneath the mud, rocks and leaves.
Zoos Victoria is one of only a handful of institutions in the world working to support conservation of the species in the wild.
Zoos Victoria Website