There are a number of scenic routes to access Mt Baw Baw. Please be advised that during declared snow season you are required to carry snow chains. Chains are available for hire at resort entry, Erica, Neerim South, Noojee, Tanjil Bren and Icy Creek.
Option 1 - Mt Baw Baw Tourist Road
Beautiful but narrow and winding road. Most visitors from Melbourne take this route, travel time from Melbourne CBD is approximately 2.5 hours.
- The turn off from the Princes Hwy (M1) is at the Drouin / Mt Baw Baw exit
- Continue along via Noojee along the Main Neerim Rd (C426)
- Follow this road through Noojee where it will then follow into the Mt Baw Baw Tourist Road (C426)
- Travel through Icy Creek and Tanjil Bren before reaching the resort gates
- Last major fuel stops is in Neerim South
The tourist drive is so very picturesque but is curvy. Stop off via the beautiful old town of Noojee where you can have a quick break, snack or lunch. Along this route, chain hire and fitting is available for hire at Resort Entry, in Neerim South, Tanjil Bren and Noojee. Beans Two Cup coffee and food cart will be operating for the 2019 season in Tanjil Bren serving fresh coffee and food.
Option 2 – South Face Road
An un-sealed gravel road wider and less winding than the Tourist Road. Travel time from Melbourne’s CBD is approximately 2.5 hours.
- From the M1, take the turn off at the Moe exit, and then continue via Erica
- At Parkers Corner, continue straight onto the Thomson Valley Road · 3km along, turn left onto South Face Road
- Last major fuel stop is at Moe, Alpine Diesel is available at Saviges Road, Quick and Ezy, Moe
- Turn at the set of traffic lights at McDonald’s in the town centre of Traralgon
- Travel along Grey Street and follow signs to Tyers/Walhalla (C477, C481, C461)
- Continue on the C481 through Rawson
- At Parkers Corner, turn right onto the Thomson Valley Road
- 3km along, turn left onto South Face Road
- Last major fuel stop is in Tyers
- Facts about the South Face Road: The South Face Road is not sealed for 25km. Along this route, chain hire and fitting is available at resort entry and the township of Erica.
Option 3 – Scenic Suburbs
Picturesque and more direct from eastern suburbs. Travel time from Lilydale is approximately 2 hours. This is the best option from the far eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
- Travel along the Warburton Hwy to Yarra Junction
- At Yarra Junction turn right onto the Yarra Junction-Noojee Road
- Follow this through Powelltown and Noojee, where you join the Mt Baw Baw Tourist Road
- Continue on through Icy Creek and Tanjil Bren until you reach the entry gate
- Last available fuel is on Warburton Highway in Launching Place
Chain Hire & Fitting Service is available at the entry to Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort during the declared snow season.